How will I know if I have been in contact with the case or one of their household members?

Our health authorities are working quickly to trace everyone who has been in close and casual contact with the positive case. If this is you, they will contact you and advise you on next steps.

How do I know if I should get tested?

If you are in Auckland and have any cold or flu-like symptoms, you should get a COVID-19 test. Please call your doctor as your FIRST option to get a FREE test. Make sure to phone ahead to make an appointment.

You can also visit a designated GP clinic, an Urgent Care Clinic or a Community Testing Centre - Full list here [PDF, 469 KB].

If you are unsure if you should get a test, call your doctor or Healthline on 0800 358 5453.

What should I know before getting a test?

  • Wear a mask or face covering

  • Take a form of photo ID for every person you are with who is getting tested

  • Bring your NHI number with you (if you know it)

  • Please be patient.

What health services are still running?

  • Go to your hospital appointments unless the service contacts you to reschedule. Our hospitals are very safe to attend

  • Pharmacies remain open

  • Family doctors remain open

  • Urgent care clinics will remain open.

What can I do to keep myself and my whānau safe?

There are a number of simple but effective ways you can keep your family safe. These include:

  • Stay home

  • If you have symptoms: fever, runny nose, a cough, loss of taste or smell, please get a COVID-19 test

  • Wear a mask or face covering when you are out in public (more information on face coverings can be found below)

  • Keep track of where you have been

  • Wash your hands regularly

  • Cough or sneeze into your elbow. 

You can find more information on keeping safe on the ARPHS ()and COVID-19() websites.


Can I still go to my doctor or attend an appointment at hospital?

Yes. Staying healthy is important so healthcare services, such as Healthline, GPs, cancer services, disability and aged support services remain open.

Some planned care, including elective surgery and radiology, will be provided. Some non- urgent services or treatment may be deferred.

If you have received a medical appointment you should attend.

If you are concerned about any aspect of your health, call your GP. As always, if you require urgent medical advice, call 111.

Can I visit my friend or whānau in hospital?

Please check your local DHB website to find out more:

What if English is not my first language and I need health advice?

If you need health advice and support in your preferred language, you can ask for it when you call Healthline. Press 1 on your phone and you will be connected with an interpreter who speaks your language.

You can also find a number of translated resources on the COVID-19 ()website. 

Where can I find mental health support?

It’s normal to feel anxious and stressed during times of uncertainty. The COVID-19 ()website has plenty of advice on looking after your mental wellbeing.

If you need support with anxiety, distress or mental wellbeing, you can call or text 1737 to talk with a trained counsellor for free, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can talk to counsellors in languages other than English.

You can also contact the Asian Family Services(). They are a nationwide mental health and addiction service that provides free and confidential support in English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese, Thai and Hindi. Phone 0800 862 342 from 9am to 8pm, Monday to Friday.

How will health authorities find where the person contracted the virus?

Health authorities are using genome testing as part of their work in finding the source of the infection. By using genome testing, scientists can compare different strains of COVID-19 and find out the source.